When I first crossed the border into Wyoming it looked as though the rock had been chiseled by the rugged individuality that makes the cowboy state so famous, followed by a few gentle dabs of muted paint to give the desert a bit of color. Further into the state it turned into a flat yellow carpet or rolling hills. Although Wyoming is known as the cowboy state, with its high velocity winds and eco-friendly green energy wind farms it really ought to be called the windy state. On my journey east I noticed not only several wind farms, but the large bits and pieces needed to build more wind turbines on wide load trucks headed west. I vaguely remember reading something about the explosion of Wyoming wind farms in the Economist.( more )
- 25 February 2009 08:25pm: Lost contact with my network back in Wyoming... again. I hate you Big Pond. You can bite me.
- Today at 04:10pm: Swim in the ocean, and I am as good as new.
- Today at 05:40pm: First time at chatswood station when they are using all four platforms. Some of us thought we'd never live to see the day.
- Today at 05:43pm: I've seen old photos of this station when it was nice. Now it is all concrete and no character.
- I've discovered Nikon AF cameras have a little dot in the viewfinder that tells you when you've got the correct focus, even when using MF lenses. Surprisingly useful.
- Mike Birbiglia on This American Life this week (Act Three) described in startling accuracy my relationship with Ronin. The people and places are entirely different but everything from beginning where he explains she is a liar, to end where he meets his girlfriends boyfriend is not only exactly how it happened to me, but exactly how I feel about it too.
- I am in Wyoming this weekend. Bert was waiting for me on sentry duty in the driveway where he is always waiting for me.
- The neighbours are having a party. boom boom boom boom boom.
- 11 February 2009 03:30pm: Is there NOTHING that will covert a flow tools file into IPFIX? Without UDP buffer overruns? Of course? It's always the UDP buffer overruns.
- 12 February 2009 07:14am: Suddenly Google talk is working with my Jabber server again. Awesome guys only took you forever and a day.
- 13 February 2009 10:16pm: Annoyed I found a bunch of E-6 to scan this weekend but I left it at The Point and the scanner and I are in Wyoming :(
- Yesterday at 11:25am: I just blew my share of the federal stimulus handout on camera gear and I haven't even gotten it yet.
- Today at 10:01am: the graveyard looks pretty after rain with the sun shining on it.
- Today at 11:10am: it's like we have our weekly meeting every week now. crazy.
- Today at 11:26am: Lenny is finally blessed as stable. We've been using it production for over a year.
- 5 February 2009 12:11pm: Quarterly update means free lunch after. Always nice food too.
- 5 February 2009 04:21pm: Allison is whining because we don't have any spare hard drives to give her. It's getting annoying.
- 5 February 2009 05:01pm: I was just thinking Allison's behaviour would be age appropriate for my little sister... seven years ago when she was six that is.
- 5 February 2009 10:21pm: It will be good to spend a few days at The Point and not have to commute all the way to/from Wyoming every day.
- 6 February 2009 08:37am: Standing room only on the train. Nose to stinky arm pit.
- 6 February 2009 10:18am: I started saying ko again. It's weird.
- 6 February 2009 03:54pm: Mail server migration went off pretty much without a hitch but the connection to muse dropped out and now I can't update the DNS! *sigh*
- 6 February 2009 04:12pm: Got to muse. nullslice is now nullray. Your local DNS server may take a while to update.
- 6 February 2009 10:38pm: of course I spoke too soon because there was stuff I forgot... :/
- Yesterday at 06:43pm: I am going to start saying "after now" again. It's like I pick up a camera and I turn into myself three years ago.
- Today at 05:56pm: 65 dead in Victoria. How much longer before they stop saying "..since Ash Wednesday" and just say "deadliest fires in Australian history" :(
- 28 September 2008 10:31pm: It was hot and sunny today. I had the front and back doors open and a nice breeze through the house.
- Yesterday at 07:19pm: Best reason to be the first one off the train: not having to breath the smoke of those that are. Long pointless day; am glad it's over.
- Today at 02:21pm: Guy walks up to me with a post-it note that says "I'm deaf please give me $5" and puffs cigarette smoke in my face.
We had some light rain this morning. I had a nap out in the atrium my grandma had built, resting to the pitter patter of rain drops outside. The sun gently woke me up an hour or two later and I watched the clouds scoot across the sky over the neighbours house. It made me really glad that I moved up here from the city.
The rain reminded me of this time when I overheard this kid talking to his mum in Sydney while it was raining and he refused a brolly, saying “guy's don't use umbrellas.” I remember thinking to myself, gosh guys are kinda dumb. Me, I like to be dry, so I guess I am not a guy. Next time a girl tells me that guys are all alike I can say “hey, I like to be dry when it rains!”
i miss you black and white; and my time in the darkroom
i never was very good at being blunt
i like how history is always repeating itself, except for the nice parts; the future always seems like a cut down discounted version of something you once remembered
i hate missing people no longer with us
i’ve forgotten more than you will ever know, but do you remember more than i’ve remembered?
i am moving to wyoming; yes really!
i hate MySQL, but if everything were postgres, it would be pretty boring arguing about it
i tasted lime in my drink tonight; it reminded me of someone special
new mexico will never be the same; before or after
product launch next monday; should be a grand crash